Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Where was JT?

 Last week when we were reading the Bible at breakfast, JT saw me flip past the story of Satan tempting Jesus and asked if I would read that story.  So far I had skipped over it because Satan is kind of scary looking because he has no face and quite frankly I wasn't really ready to get into him and all his evil.   However, since JT asked about him, I decided this was the Holy Spirit's way of telling me to tell JT about Satan so I went ahead and read the story.  This of course lead to many questions. 
 As we were talking, I told JT that this Satan here is the same as the sneaky snake at the beginning of the Bible. JT loves the sneaky snake story because at the end Adam and Eve "get" to use a rake and hoe, which JT also loves to use. (So he doesn't quite get the main point of the story, but whatever gets this kid excited...) So then I started to talk about how Satan is a liar and he never tells the truth, which is why Jesus told him to leave Him alone. I told JT that Satan lied to Eve and she should have never listened to him.  To this JT replied, "If the sneaky snake had tried to talk to me, I would have cut his head off with a hoe." To which I replied, "Oh, JT where were you at the beginning of time?  I wish you would have been there.  You would have saved us a lot of trouble." 


 I thought to myself, "Oh, the faith of a child. If only we would just know the fact that Satan always lies and 'chop his head off', our lives would so much easier and peaceful." I found myself so sad that JT will not always find this task so easy and I just pray that he can have the fortitude and wisdom to have a simple faith that ignores the evil one and follows Jesus. Simple prayer, I know, but what other prayer really is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment