Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mother to an Engineer

When I was growing up, I had a dear friend named Chad. Chad loved to build things. I can remember how he would spend "hours" explaining to me how things worked. (I am sure it was all of 5 minutes, but I have always been one for exaggeration.) Well, I should have listened, because JT L.O.V.E.S. to build things. He has such an engineer mind. If you give him a piece of chalk, he draws roads and parking lots. One time he disassembled a lamp at the cabin and laid all the parts in a line on the bed. Not joking.
Now he is big enough to play with LEGOS, which he loves. Brian loves LEGOS as well so LEGOS is kind of their thing. However, last week JT got a race car from a sweet friend of ours. He, of course, wanted to assemble it right then and there while Brian was at work. So after Elizabeth went down for her nap, I decided surely I could do this. Thankfully LEGOS does have a step-by-step direction booklet. However, it took me an hour to put this car together. An hour. It is geared for children ages 7-12 and it took me an hour. The whole hour I answered the following question for each piece (96 pieces if you are counting), "What that piece for?"
I love how creative God has made JT and I look forward to see how JT decides to use these gifts, but I am in trouble. I basically have no spacial skills. Please don't ask me how high things are, how far things are, or to think outside the box. After putting this race car together, my brain felt like I had done 16 Sudoku puzzles. Wish me luck in the coming years because I am going to need it.

Happy as a clam
One proud mama

3 comments:

  1. Go Mama Go! I am so impressed that you got it together at all. Look at that happy boy, just working away at his project. Amazing that you spent an hour working on that, I would have been like, Oh look! A Garbage truck! Then locked us out of the house just to do a different activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! You put the effort in and wore your patient face, I'd say you achieved multiple little victories on that one. And who says Mom can't learn new things along the way... ;-)
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just teach him how to read; you don't have to all things to him:)!

    ReplyDelete