Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fundy


JT has changed. Every once in awhile, it will dawn on Brian and I that he has turned a corner and is growing up. Sometimes it makes me sad because I love my first little baby, but this corner has brought a much appreciated change. It seems like he finally is acquiring some reasoning skills, which helps a lot when it comes to disciplining. It seems like over the past few weeks there have been more and more times where JT has chosen the right choice and said things like, "I make mommy so happy." Of course the proud mommy in me is hoping it is because I am becoming better at my disciplining skills, but I am beginning to think it is because he is becoming better at reasoning.

This new JT is also funny (or fundy as he says) side of him. He finds things that are out of place (my sunglasses on his face for example) to be really funny. The other day he was laughing to himself and when I asked him what was so funny he said that his friend was funny because he threw brooms in the trash can. He wasn't laughing because his friend got in trouble, but because brooms do not go in trash cans. (It would have to do with trash cans, wouldn't it?) His little speech impediment, of course, makes things funny from Brian's and my point of view.

He is starting to say creative things and we are discussing really neat stuff. When it was really rainy last week, he said, "The sun did not come out today. It went to someone else's house to play." We listen to a little kid Christian CD in the car and just recently he has started to ask what the songs mean. Today I was telling him about why we can go to heaven and he said that when he got taller he wanted to go to heaven. You know I loved that moment. (Side note: I started to talk more about going to heaven and a horse trailer drove past us, which of course immediately took precedent over how to get to heaven. Smile.)

A year ago I was worried about his speech and language development and today I think to myself, "What a waste of time." A month ago I wanted pull my hair out because our disciplining wasn't stopping the impulsiveness that had been going on for 8 months, and today I am so glad we stuck with it. We were patient with him and he just needed to grow up a bit. Because he is the first born and every phase we go through is a learning experience for all of us, I would have to say this little guy is molding me into a better Christian and I am so thankful God gave me him.

1 comment:

  1. Janelle-

    I know you went back and corrected this post. You did not sound arrogant AT ALL. Isn't it a wonder when we begin to figure out their minds and their personalities? It makes disciplining them eas-eri discipline is personal to the child, in many ways. Sounds like you are doing such a good job. I picture you being really funny and silly and full-on love with your kids. And I bet my picture is correct:).

    Maryanne Helms

    ReplyDelete