Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why Elizabeth Jean?

Gertrude Elizabeth Volberg Kling
Today Elizabeth is 2 months old. Wow. I thought I would just not so briefly describe why we chose Elizabeth Jean as her name. We chose Elizabeth Jean hoping that she might immulate four amazing women that have impacted Brian's and my life. So that this post is not 6 pages long, I will briefly say that we chose Jean after Brian' mom, grandma, and my Aunt Jean- all three who live or have lived life extremely well and love or loved the Lord with all their hearts. Now onto Elizabeth.

We chose Elizabeth after my dear/spunky great-grandmother. Above is a picture of her taken in 1906 when she was just a baby. She went by Elizabeth and I called her Murmur. Outside of my mother, Murmur is the woman who I most respect. She lived to be 98 years old. Her life was truly a well-lived life. She experienced many deep sorrows along with great joys. In her I saw the ability to take exactly what the Lord deemed best for her and thrive. Over a three year span when she was in her seventies she lost her two daughters and her husband. This could have been the end of her life, yet she chose to keep living and enjoy doing it. I just loved that in her.

She and I were kindred spirits. Even though we were 72 years apart in age, our personalities just meshed. She was spunky, fiesty, gracious, wise, confident, and loving. I can still think what her hand felt like as we sat on her swing out her yard, holding hands, and her telling stories from her life. She had great style and a great presence. She was always a lady, yet mowed her couple of acres of grass on a riding lawn mower. She loved to laugh. She would have loved Brian and I hate that they didn't get to meet. When the doctors were in the process of delivering Elizabeth, I got so choked up because I missed Murmur so much and I wanted her to be here to see my sweet little thing. Without even thinking about it, I started calling Elizabeth "Girlie", which is the nickname my great-grandfather gave to Murmur. For my Elizabeth I wish the same characteristics that my Murmur had and I pray that my little Girlie can take whatever life gives her and thrive the way Murmur did.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful name and I love the meaning behind it. Elizabeth will be very proud to carry on the name of your great grandmother. I am glad we were able to name our little one Katie. Poor Carly though, we just like her name...there isn't any family connection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to my eyes! What a legacy, and what an awesome mom you are for hoping such rich things for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Praise God for such amazing people in your life and for such dear memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her name had to be Elizabeth...beautiful! How sweet that you will one day swing with your girlie holding hands and tell her all about MurMur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice post - Murmur would be so proud of Elizabeth! Those characteristics are so wonderful and difficult to find these days - contentment and thriving in all situations. Great things to pray for our kids (and ourselves)!

    ReplyDelete