For the month of June I am in a four-week Bible study called "Powerful Prayers." Even though we have only met for two weeks now, it has been such a blessing to me. I would call my prayer life superficial at best. I pray a lot but it feels like I am just begging God to keep my family safe and not let any bad things happen in my life. I would say that most times when I am done praying, I do not trust in God anymore than when I started.
When I saw that this "course" was being offered at my church, I signed up right away. What I have wanted to tackle is this insane fear I have of something REALLY bad happening to JT or Elizabeth. I am also almost psycho in my feeling of desperation that JT and Elizabeth might not choose to follow Jesus. These are kind of big fears and I should have known that doing the Bible study was really going to rock my world. Our leader told us to prepare for Satan to attack us as we went through this study, and boy has he ever. I have had terrible dreams of JT being kidnapped or people trying to take Elizabeth from me. I guess I have to say that even though Satan meant to intimidate me, he actually has forced me face these issues head on. One of the most powerful things I am learning to do is to pray actual Bible verses over each issue in my life. As someone who has been around Christianity for a long time, I have heard this before. However being the know-it-all that I can be, I have never tried it. I would highly recommend reading a verse and then interposing the person you are praying for name into it. It is crazy how God's words have so much more power than my own.
The literature my Bible study leader is using is from the "digizine" Kyria. Please check it out. If you type in "powerful prayers" in the search box, multiple articles will pop up and just choose any one. Prepare to be challenged, encouraged, and changed.
Sounds like a great study - it is amazing how consuming worries over little ones can be. The link to the Kyria site doesn't seem to work? I'd love to look at it though...
ReplyDeleteJanelle, thanks for your continued honesty. I love sharing life with you (even thousands of miles away). You are an inspiration!
ReplyDelete