So we have begun the dreaded potty training. JT has been super into all things toilet for a very long time. I gave a half-hearted effort back before Elizabeth was born, but when it didn't take, I put it on hold. So now here we are, Elizabeth is sleeping, I am well-rested, and JT has adjusted to the changes that have gone on in our house. I thought about putting it off until JT was older, but only because I am dreading it not because he is not ready. So here is my diary of the first couple of days deep in the trenches of poo.
Day 1
Awesome start! Only two messes. He even stopped playing to tell me he had to go poop and he was right. Sidenote: About every thirty minutes I made him sit on the potty. I only had him in underwear until nap. After nap, he was in a diaper. I was exhausted from all this potty training.
Day 2- Part 1
Really discouraging start to the day. By 1:00, having gone through four pairs of underwear and two shirts (no pants this week), I am considering giving up or bribing with M&M's (mostly because I need some at the moment). JT is telling me that he just peed, but hie is not going in the potty.
Then I got my Parenting magazine in the mail and miraculously (or not if you believe in the providence of God like I do) there is an article by a mom who potty trained her twin two-year-old boys. I turn right to the article and read it rapturously like I used to read my InStyle magazine. Here are some great pointers that give me a new direction:
1. No diapers except at nap and bed.
2. Remember they have never felt pee before so if they recognize that they have peed, it is a good thing because it means they are getting it.
3. When they do pee in their underwear, don't say all sorts of long sentences (like "It's okay, just next time Mommy wants you to pee in the potty." This is what I was saying.). Instead say, "Pee goes in the potty." Its a rule. Two year olds love rules.
4. Don't reward them. I wasn't so sure about this because I think JT would do anything for a piece of candy, but the author of this article said that after a day and a half the bribe lost its' power. So on we go with no M&M for me or him.
5. It took this mom 3 weeks for it to begin to click. This helped me because A) it gave me perspective that this was not an overnight miracle and B) it gave me hope that in three weeks my life would not be consumed by this.
After reading this article, I started to view Day 2 differently.
Day 2, Part 2
I started to get really excited about JT going pee in the potty. JT got really excited about wanting to go pee in the potty. We only had one wet pair of underwear after I read the article. On top of being super excited about the potty, I became very diligent about making sure every 30 minutes JT sat on the potty.
Day 3
Awesome day!! Lots of trips to the potty. No accidents. Brian and I had to go get the car fixed so Brian's parents took over and kept the potty training going. When I told JT we were going to put big boy underwear on first thing in the morning, he said, "No!" Right away I thought that maybe he was too young and we were causing him emotional stress. But then I remembered that he says no to everything. He is two. Even when he says no, he still does it. Sure enough he put the underwear on and had a great day.
This just might work. I'll keep you posted.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Katie is starting to show some interest and I am clueless on how to begin this process. I am like you though and not going to do much until after Carly is born and life settles down a little. Glad it is going better. Go JT!
ReplyDeleteGood job JT! We are also trying. So far so good :)
ReplyDeleteHanka