Sunday, March 14, 2010

I heart Olive Oil

This post is NOT for the guys at all. You will gag. For the rest of my readers I just want to pass on this great home remedy if you are breastfeeding. The amazing lactation consultant Nurse Jarvis at my pediatricians office gave me great advice for dealing with the painful parts of breastfeeding. I told Brian that we are going to name our next child Nurse Jarvis Upton because she has saved the day many times over in my recent life and it all involves olive oil. Nurse Jarvis told me to put olive oil on my nipples (see I told you the guys would gag) to solve many of the problems that come with breastfeeding. Cracked bleeding nipples? Olive oil. Blistering? Olive oil. Clogged milk ducts? Olive oil (apparently it draws the milk out faster). I am telling you. It has saved my life (relatively speaking). Just this past week one side was acting like it might be clogging up so I put a little olive oil on right before feeding Elizabeth and wah lah, no more pain. It is not harmful for Elizabeth. In fact she is just getting the benefits of olive oil. So pass it on. Your breastfeeding friends will thank you. Believe me.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I had no idea! Good information that I am sure I will use soon. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot about the olive oil, but now that you mention it, I totally remember oiling myself. Thank God for olive oil!

    ReplyDelete